The Perils of Do-It-Yourself: Leave Home Insulation to the Experts
Numerous home projects can be done well by enthusiastic homeowners. With the right tools and know-how, you might clean your own gutters, apply a stain to your deck, or paint an accent wall in a vibrant hue. However, some jobs should only be performed by skilled, dependable professionals.
Installing insulation is one of those jobs that you should not try to do yourself. This is a task that requires a professional assessment of an array of details. The team at Reitzel Insulation is trained to determine how much insulation you need and what kind is best for your home. We have more than 45 years of experience in the industry, and we are equipped to install your insulation properly.
Why You Should Not Install Your Own Insulation
If you are wondering what could possibly go wrong if you install your own insulation, you could benefit from exploring the possible dangers. Failing to do this job correctly can result in lost money and even injury.
These are a few of the potential hazards of approaching attic insulation or any home insulation from a DIY perspective:
- The Wrong Product – Insulation is assuredly not a “one size fits all” kind of product. The product used needs to be compatible with various circumstances, such as the structural basis of your home and the general climate of the area. The R-value (thermal resistance measurement) of a product also has a bearing on whether it is suited to your home and your needs.
- Equipment – To install insulation properly, you must use the right tools. Some of the tools and equipment needed for such a job are not generally found in the home, even if you are an avid DIY-er. If you do not use equipment designed for this kind of installation, you could do the job incorrectly. At that point, you will need to hire a professionally anyway.
- Improper Placement – Positioning insulation correctly requires industry knowledge and training. If you try to perform this project yourself, you could leave the affected space vulnerable to gaps. The spaces might not be immediately apparent, but over time, they can manifest due to improper placement.
- Spray Foam Insulation – Many people are under the impression that applying spray foam insulation is a do-it-yourself job. This is likely a result of the availability of spray foam kits designed for this purpose. In actuality, this kind of insulation can be tricky to apply, and it should only be done by a pro.
- Injury – The potential to get hurt is perhaps the top reason to hire an expert. Accessing underneath the floorboards, moving through crawl spaces, and climbing a tall ladder in the attic are all tasks that could lead to serious injuries. Only a licensed contractor should attempt to perform these tasks.
HOME INSULATION INSTALLED BY PROFESSIONALS IN BURLINGTON, HAMILTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS
When you need insulation for your home, look no further than Reitzel Insulation. Our technicians are reputable, reliable, and trained to install your insulation. DIY projects can be fun and rewarding, but installing insulation is a job that should be performed by a licensed professional.
We proudly offer our services to the Kitchener-Waterloo area, and we are ready to install residential or commercial insulation. Call us for a no-obligation estimate at 226-241-9991. You may also reach us via our online contact form.
MORE ARTICLESSigns that Your Home Requires InsulationShould You Insulate Your Attic Before Storing Things There?Four Spray Foam Application Mistakes to AvoidCan Insulation Help With Sustainability?Does Spray Foam Insulation Reduce Energy Consumption?What Causes Black Spots on Insulation?Taking advantage of the Greener Homes Grant will increase your savingsThe Best Way to Reduce Heat Loss in Your HomeDo I Need Crawl Space Insulation in 2021?The Benefits of Basement Wall Insulation in Ontario